Thursday, November 26, 2009

Puerto Maldonado Team 2

The song “Showers of Blessings” comes to mind as I am writing this update in the middle of a huge thunder and lighting storm here in Puerto Maldonado. The Puerto work project was showered with blessings right from the beginning when 30 people arrived on October 23 in Puerto Maldonado to complete the 40/40 house. These were some hard working folks. We worked non-stop for 10 days, putting in 10, 12, even 16 hours a day to get the building ready for the 40/40 missionaries to move in on November 3.

The house was a little behind schedule when the team arrived. The work site had been without power for 10 days when the team arrived. The stucco work inside was completed 1 day before the group arrived, but the topping floor slab on the second level was not. So we started putting primer on the walls of the first level, tile on the bathroom walls, and plywood ceiling on the trusses of the second level. The floor slab was completed the second day, so we quickly moved upstairs with the primer. A huge blessing was brought in the form of a Graco airless paint sprayer by a church in Idaho. I had not even asked for one, but the pastor there just felt like we could really use it. Boy was he right. Not only did they bring the paint sprayer, but they brought money to buy a generator to run it as well. We were still out of power, so I was able to buy a nice 120V/220V generator to power both the paint sprayer and our power tools. And the store I bought the generator at was owned by a Christian family, who sold me the generator for 33% off since it was for the church. I love it when you can see the hand of God at work.

After I painted the walls and ceilings, we were finally ready to start tiling. We installed tile on all the floors, 3 bathrooms, 2 laundry rooms, and 2 kitchen counter tops. That is a lot of tile cutting, setting, and grouting. A blessing that arrived with the Puerto 1 team was a small tile saw. Boy, did it ever get a work out. In fact, the motor froze up on it after the first floor. One prayer warrior of a lady prayed over it, I laid hands on it, took it all apart, cleaned it out, put it back together, and it worked the rest of the project without any trouble. Blessings come in many forms.

With just a few days to go before the 40/40’s, they completed the stucco on the outside the house. We painted the front of the house, installed to 40/40 sign, leveled and filled the yard, installed windows and front doors. In addition, we completed the block walls for the church, formed and poured the columns and bond beams, built and erected the trusses, and got most of the metal roof on in time for the building dedication. All told, we installed 1000 square feet of ceiling, 500 feet of batten strips, 51 feet of shelving, 16 windows, 2 doors, 2000 square feet of floor tile, 414 square feet of wall tile, 3 toilets, 5 sinks, 4 showers, connected the cistern, water tank, and control systems, 64 feet of metal handrail, 2 ceiling fans, 20 light fixtures, 38 electrical outlets, used 30 gallons of primer, 40 gallons of interior paint, 10 gallons exterior paint,, built 8 metal beds and frames, 1248 concrete blocks, 196 buckets of concrete, 6 trusses, and 200 sheets of metal roofing. There was about 2,970 hours of labor donated during the project, and no major injuries. I was blessed with a great work team.

After a boat trip in the morning and a restful afternoon at a park, the church and house was dedicated on the evening of November 3rd. It was exciting to see over 120 people at the dedication and watch the 40/40’s go explore their new house. I will stay another week completing little things around the place, and will head back to Arequipa on November 15th. I can’t wait to see how God uses this church and the 40/40’s as they begin the church planting process here in Puerto Maldonado.

No comments:

Post a Comment